What we do: Cooperative engagement.
CoMinnesota is an expanding community of Minnesota cooperators and allies that gather to tell and write the stories of how cooperative enterprises build a better world.
- We create welcoming spaces and events where we invite all persons to learn about and build on each others’ work.
- We create working and social networks that help cooperative partners and allies pursue collaborative work.
- We work to build a cooperative community in Minnesota.
A little history
CoMinnesota started in late 2011 in response to a questions, “Why in the state of Minnesota, which has the most cooperatives of any state, isn’t there more cross-sector collaboration and promotion of the cooperatives? What can be done about that?”
Since then a fluid network of cooperative volunteers has responded to this challenge by comingling cooperators at ongoing programming ranging from special events to regular brown bag topic lunches and happy hours. We have also maintained the skeletal infrastructure of a Steering Committee, a website and an email newsletter sent to a list of almost 700.
In order to secure a sustainable future, CoMinnesota evolved in 2017 to a more formal membership structure from which it could better define its governance, and solicit financial, and volunteer support.
In the coming years, we envision:
- Establishing CoMinnesota as a membership organization, and working to grow membership;
- Sharing information on upcoming co-op events and activities through our e-newsletter.
- Hosting regular happy hour networking events and brown bag educational discussions; and,
- Creating at least one larger public event, in addition to our Annual Meeting
Financially, we will be supported by annual dues from individuals, and sponsorships from co-ops and allies. Programs will be available to everyone, regardless of membership status. The value of membership is to be directly involved in CoMinnesota’s governance and strategic direction, and to provide the financial capacity for the work to continue.